Friday, May 18, 2012

Body Image Bullying



Over the last few months I have seen this image being posted on a lot of people's Facebooks and Pinterests.... and I will have to say as a woman, I am disheartened by the amount of body image bullying that takes place on social networks.

Your husband/boyfriend/iguana may love your curves, he may love small frames, his preference may vary by personality. The point being, women come in all shapes and sizes. They are all beautiful. I find myself so offended by this image and more so, the women that pit themselves against other women.

I have had a long standing battle with body image beginning and ending with what other people say I should look like. And here is where I am yogini and un-yogini like: Society should just shut the f*** up and start honoring the different sizes and shapes we all come in. Let's all have an intelligent conversation regarding body image. Shouldn't we all be striving to be our healthiest? Why does it have to be the two extremes?

I just wish we could stop insulting each other and using social media as a platform to spread the hate.

End rant.

Om shanti shanti.










1 comment:

  1. Love what you're saying here; I have my own complicated reaction, but it's like yours...based on my experience in my body...

    And I think basically whenever someone posts some really catching image with a headline....it's a fancy way to simplify something that isn't simplistic....and to give us a gut reaction.

    You are convincing me that I need to go back to blogging so thank you seriously. Have a gorgeous day one yogi to another,

    Renee

    ReplyDelete